Pages

Saturday, November 08, 2008

A shopping spree in the big city

While I was in Toronto, I went on a little shopping spree. I wasn't shopping clothes at designer shops, or for anything extravagant. I was shopping for things I knew I could get cheaply in Toronto, that I would pay more for here.

My favourite purchases were from one of my favourite stores in Toronto, Andalous. It's an import store where you can sometimes find neat things for really cheap, and then other times you find nothing at all. This time I found a cute purse (on sale from $28, down to $10), and 2 leather belts, one black one brown, for $5 each.

I also made a trip to Chinatown to get supplies for a Chinese theme night I'm having in about a week. I picked up 3 new pairs of chopsticks, chopstick holders for beginners, paper lanterns to decorate with and a Chinese fan as a souvenir for a little girl I know.

And, of course, I couldn't resist a little wool shopping. We stopped at Lettuce Knits in Kensington (how did I miss this shop when I was in Toronto?), but I showed restraint and saved my money for Romni. Romni is probably not the best knitting store in Toronto, but it's definitely the most amazing! It's not difficult to be overwhelmed when you walk inside.
The shop is big, and it's piled high with fibre of all kinds. There are at least 5 of the aisles like the one above, and then there's the basement (which is even more cramped), and a side room by the entrance where you can find knitting books and more wool. The prices are reasonable, for the most part, and naturally they have a huge selection of everything to do with wool. It was hard to decide on what to get and I ended up with an armful of wool that I had to reject (for the sake of my bank account). I settled on this Malabrigo Silky Merino.
It's my first Malabrigo and I have no idea what I'll knit with it - I really just loved the colour (Redwood Bark).
And I also came back with a few books. Not as many as I had hoped because I missed the St. Michael's College Booksale, but I did spend some time browsing BMV and Book City and came away with three books that look promising. One in particular, Three Cups of Tea, I've been wanting to buy for quite awhile now, so I was especially pleased with this purchase.


All in all, I'm pretty happy with my purchases. I actually didn't spend that much money, but came home with a few things I'll get lots of use out of!

No comments: