Pages

Friday, September 29, 2006

Good thing winter is almost here

...Because I have a lot to read...

One of the advantages of living so close to campus, is the annual booksale at Victoria College. It's madness and it's everywoman for herself (or man for himself). Everyone is looking for discounts - students especially - which means a lot of pushing and shoving. In the end, I got a bunch of good books (and I'm not finished yet - I plan to go back!).

So what did I pick up? Here's my list:
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - a classic I've had my eye on for awhile, but never felt like I wanted to spend the money to tackle it.
Kim by Rudyard Kipling - a book I've always wanted to read.
Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte - two of my friends say this is their favourite Bronte book, and I'm inspired to read it after watching the theatre production in London
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - this is my favourite Bronte book (okay, well it's the only Bronte book I've read....so far)
Toronto: A Literary Guide by Greg Gatenby - who knew I wasn't the first person from the Valley to live on my street
A Brief History of British Kings & Queens by Mike Ashley - This might be the solution to my constant confusion around the kings and queens.
Archives: Mirror of Canada's Past- a hardcover book highlighting some of the archival materials from the Library and Archives of Canada. I have the 2003 Archives of Ontario book - this new addition seems to fit nicely with that.

The first five books were on my Chapters wishlist. So I can scratch those off and feel pleased with myself for saving a lot of $$. Most of the books are brand new; the spine hasn't even been cracked! And all books were a steal!

I think I'll go back. My trip today only covered one room - the Canadiana, Literary Classics, Poetry, Drama and History room. I wouldn't mind checking out the fiction room, the religion books and see what else is out there.

2 comments:

Jenn & Owen said...

Wow. What a stack of classics.

Andrea said...

Yeah, well, I haven't started to read any of them yet - so they may just end up looking pretty on my shelf.

a.