Pages

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

D.I.Y.

I've spent a slightly frustrating evening trying to get my curtains up. Frustrating because this has been an on-going process since August. And it shouldn't be that hard.

I have beautiful white curtains (thanks to a friend!). I have 2 8 ft I-beams with all their fixings. I have hooks and lots of eyes. The problem has been drilling the holes to hang the I-beams. There are 8 holes (4 per I-beam) - all to be drilled into the ceiling. I carefully measured the holes so the I-beams line up straight and drilled starter holes. The first 4 holes went well - I was able to drill them with my girlie cordless drill, and the screws stayed secure. The other 4 holes have been impossible! For some reason that side has concrete which my poor little drill can't penetrate. My super tried with her drill - still no luck, just uglier holes. So we needed a hammer drill. Unfortunately her hammer drill was "in the shop". And so I waited, and waited, and waited. Here it is, November, and finally she was able to use her hammer drill to drill the holes. The problem is now the holes are too big for the screws, even with the little plastic plug-thingies. So now I'm trying to figure out how to keep the screws from popping out of the holes. Any suggestions? I'm thinking something like contact cement...but I don't know if that's the right solution.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

A colleague suggested I use polyfiller to fill in the holes, then drill a hole in the polyfill, insert the anchor, and then screw the hardware in . I tried that. But again the anchors fell out and the screws wouldn't go in all the way.

What am I going to do?