Pages

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Built in a day

Rome wasn't, but the little church that sits in the middle of a cemetery just beside the Inn where I'm staying, was.


Apparently, as I was told, the community decided they needed a church, so they all stopped what they were doing and spent a day building one. It's construction is fairly simple and I'm not sure how old it is, but I thought this was an interesting contrast to my current surrounds and even my current situation.

I had a chance to wander around today in a city I call home but hardly know at all. And I was blown away by the beautiful architecture. It's a photographer's dream here. There are so many varying styles of architecture - from the rough sea worn vessels, to the stone and wood buildings along the Historic Properties, to the whimsical patterns pressed into the stones that built the Courthouse. (I promise to post pictures when I get back home).

None of these buildings were built in a day, that's for sure!

And yet a day can change everything. I'm here with the hopes that my life will change direction (East, to be exact), all because of a single day. For the community who built their church in a day, it must've taken a lot of hardwork and tenacity (I mean, what difference would it make for it to take 2 days?!), and faith.

Tomorrow is my "church-building day".

No comments: