Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Choose your own adventure

One thing that has occured to me this summer is that my slate has been wiped clean. I have no commitments (aside from my 8-4:30, Mon.-Fri., commitment to work). I'm literally starting from scratch - building a new social network, finding new organizations to offer my time to, plugging into a new church community, and trying new activities and hobbies.

And there are so many things that pique my interest!

Here are just a few I'm considering:
  1. Pottery classes - Turnstile has an open studio night where you can go in and play with clay (and wheel if you so desire) for $15. They offer courses too, but NSCAD also offers fall courses and it looks like you get more time (30 hrs over 10 wks) for about the same amount of $$.
  2. Knitting classes - The Loop is not far from work and has knitting workshops for Absolute beginners. I believe I fall in this class as all I seem to be able to knit are squarish things (scarves and my version of a hot water bottle cover). I admire those who can teach themselves to knit, and I think I could probably do it too if it was not for my stubborn refusal to follow instructions (printed or otherwise!).
  3. Geocaching - This has intrigued me for awhile, since my mother (of all people) introduced me to the concept about 2 years ago. It's one of those things that I would probably really enjoy, but I've been told by K&S that it's really something you need to do with someone else. I'm logged geocaching.com in as "inspiredbyhope", if you must know.
  4. Volunteering with Big Brothers, Big Sisters - Being an only child has taught me one thing - actually, many things but for the purpose of this point, one thing - and that is: it sucks being only kid sometimes. I can appreciate what the organization offers and I've been thinking it'd be nice to put some time into being a BigSister. Knowing that this is a big commitment, I'm not jumping in full force right away. This would be another way of investing my time with a youth on a one-on-one basis...which I really enjoyed in my past experience as a Youth Group leader.
  5. Volunteering as a YMCA Host - At Acadia and in Toronto I got to know a lot of people from all over the world. I'm finding that since I've been here in Halifax, though it is still a diverse city, my paths don't intersect with people from other ethnicities as much as I'd like. So, maybe I need to be more intentional about it. I could volunteer as a YMCA Host and get to know a few new immigrants.
  6. Take a French course - Okay, so this one I'm actually doing. I signed up for a French refresher course, starting at Beginner, Level 2. It's been 11 years since I've taken French, so this is definitely needed. I'm terrible at languages (there are some days I'm lucky to master English!), but it's a great opportunity and who knows, I may be better at it now that I'm an adult. Maybe.
I guess I'll stop here, though it's not the end of my list. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

No comments: