Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2007

"This little piggy went to the market...."

Hmm....I'm not quite sure I like the piggy analogy, but for the sake of having a clever title, I'll stick with it. Today I went to the Halifax farmer's market.

My friend who visited a couple weeks ago made a comment about how this is the most attractive market she's been to - and that it is. It's located in the Alexander Keith's Brewery buildings, built in1863, and modernized with a glassed atrium/courtyard. The combination of the grey stone walls, cobblestone/plank flooring and sun shining through the glass overhead onto the market stalls makes for a wonderful atmosphere. And then there are stalls: flowers, herbs, knitted wooly things, watercolour paintings, baked goods, farm produce, bottled jams and jellies, homemade jewellery, sausages, cheese, spices, and teas. You can find almost anything there if you have the time.

I arrived late in the day, so most vendors were packing up their stall before I got to them. But I wandered around for a bit just looking (and thinking about buying). Fortunately I showed some self control and left with only a bouquet of sunflowers, a sampling of homemade squares and lunch.

For lunch I figured I might as well follow the majority and get to the back of the long line-up for Cheelin Restaurant (which was actually just a table set up with a rice cooker, buffet servers and a couple frying pans).And here is what I ordered for lunch:
Yummy!

I should also mention - since I'm talking about markets - that on my way home I also stopped in to the Hydrostone Market. It's not really a market - jus a series of highend shops in the Hydrostone neighbourhood of Halifax. I've been there before, but most of the stores close at 5, so I haven't had chance to pop in.

No comments: