Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dear Rodney...

Dear Rodney,

On Friday, in response to the rising gas prices, you said: "The most important thing that we as a government can do, and all Nova Scotians can do, is to purchase more fuel-efficient vehicles and to take up the opportunity for transit." (CBC, Chronicle Herald).

I agree.

In Halifax, today, gas prices are $1.321/L; and of this $1.321 we are being taxed 0.155/L. I'll be the first to admit that, as a driver of a subcompact car, I take full responsibility for the consequences of driving. I understand the need for gas taxes to improve our aging roads and highways infrastructure and offset the environmental impact of driving. And, though I strongly feel Nova Scotians are over-taxed, I know I must pay the price for this luxury.

What concerns me is this: your comment seems inadequate when it addresses less than half the province's polulation, and even less of the geographical area of the province. So, I have to ask, when you spoke about taking up the "opportunity for transit", is it your plan to establish reliable and efficient transit systems in towns across the province where no such system exists? And, are you aware that these towns are paying the highest gas prices in the province? To name a few: $1.386/L in Parrsboro; $1.379/L in Barrington; $1.372/L in Yarmouth; 1.339 in Truro (source: Nova Scotia Gas Prices).

To my knowledge there are only three transit systems in the province - Halifax Metro Transit, Kings Transit, and the Cape Breton Regional Transit Authority (source: www.transitaction.ca).
As one who has relied on my own 2 feet, and the Toronto Transit Commission for nearly 7 years to get me around the largest city in Canada, I know the value of transit. A reliable, timely and frequent bus and subway system that was convenient and cheap (despite rising rate increases), was a viable alternative to driving a car in Toronto.

Here in Halifax, my experience has been quite different. Sure, the bus system works well getting to and from work (7am-5pm), but if I want to do anything after work (volunteer or night classes, etc.), the busses are less frequent and unreliable. I've been left stranded for an hour even though I live on a highly accessible route. As a result, I drive. As do many other Nova Scotians.
And, as you know, there are very few transit options for travelling outside of the city to rural areas of Nova Scotia. You yourself have been criticized for your expensive travel arrangements from Mabou to Halifax ($2,240 for a helicopter ride paid for by Nova Scotians).

Telling Nova Scotians that the government is going to focus on transit, is all very well and good, but how well does it (or can it) serve rural Nova Scotia, particularly when it's the rural communities that are the most economically stressed. That's what I want to know.

2 comments:

Sherrie said...

Amen! And well said. The other thing I wondered when I heard him say that was 'What kind of car do you drive, Rod?'

Andrea said...

Good to hear from you!
He drives a Toyota Camry, I believe....or rides a helicopter to get to/from Mabou.
*sigh*