Pages

Monday, August 18, 2008

"I sing because I have joy"

Last night I witnessed the truest profession of hope, joy, faith and potential I've seen in a long time. The African Children's Choir performed at Birch Cove Baptist, and the packed house (with standing room only) was treated to a fantastic show full of harmony, energy, talent and enthusiasm. These children, aged between 7 and 11, from Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya..., have been performing on the road for almost a year, but you would hardly know it. I'm sure they must be tired of performing the same songs, the same dances, but it certainly didn't show.
This is truly a good news story. These children represent the hope of Africa. They are touring across Canada/USA/UK and Europe to demonstrate their potential, not just as singers and dancers, but as children who will grow up to be teachers, doctors, pastors, secretaries and Presidents. They don't flash images of improverished African villages, refugee camps, emaciated children, or inhabitable drought-filled landscapes; but show you the vibrant culture through music and dance and show you that when given the educational opportunities, they will thrive and live out their potential.

More about the African Children's Choir here and to see a tiny bit of their perfomance:


See YouTube for more clips of their performances.

More about the parent organization, Music For Life.

Check out their Itinerary, they're still on tour and they might be touring near you. If you live in the Maritimes and you're kicking yourself for missing them
...they're coming back in April 2009!

2 comments:

EDWARD said...

FYI: I put a link to this post at http://halifax.infomonkey.net.

Andrea said...

Edward, I would like to make this perfectly clear: I did NOT submit this post to InfoMonkey.

If you are going to link my posts for your financial gain, I have very little means to stop you (unless I close my blog entirely to the public). However, I would like to ask, a second time, that you do not mislead your readers by saying that the post was "submitted by" me. Please tell it like it is, the post was "taken from" or "ripped off of" Inspired By Hope to drive up your readership, which you can boast about to advertisers, and generate more commercial profit. Will I get a piece of the $$ pie?