Pages

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Frenchy finds!

Yes, while I was home I had a chance to go Frenchy shopping. Actually I had to drag my cousin to go shopping (though secretly I think she wanted to go too - she came home with lots more than me). We intended to go to the Weymouth Frenchy's and then work our way back to Digby, but as it turned out the Weymouth Frenchy's was closed. So, instead of heading back to Digby right away, we kept going to Meteghan, shopped for a bit there, stopped for lunch (Rapure Pie) and then headed to Digby.
The thing about Frenchy's that makes it so much fun is the sifting and the finding. There's definitely a strategy to shopping at Frenchy's. I've learned over the years, the best way is to start at a corner in the bin, push all the clothes to the side so you can see the bottom of the bin, and then sifting through the clothes one-by-one.
The key is to shop with someone who is not your size. This way you're not competing for clothes. I usually shop with my cousin and she's definitely not my size. When she sees something that looks right for me, she'll toss it over and if I like it, I'll put it in the orange basket or toss back in the bin (and vice versa).
It's a guarantee that most of what you sort through will be quickly passed over - there's a lot of junk to say the least (like this green and white polyester 1960s shirt). Usually my cousin makes the best finds. I give her full credit for my score finds this trip!
Another key thing to remember when shopping at Frenchy's is not to buy something that you think you can fix. Because some of the items have been previously worn or are unsold merchandise, and have been bundled and shipped from who-knows-where, they can sometimes have stains or might be damaged. If you find something that is damaged or stained throw it back in. You'll find something else. Chances are you'll never get around to fixing it, or the stain will never come out. And you've wasted a few precious dollars you could've spent on something else.

My purchases this trip:
1 large cranberry red banquet sized tablecloth (which my mother has promised to cut to fit my table - Thank you Mom!) = 3.00
1 pair of jeans = 3.50
1 Lands' End super comfy aqua hooded sweater = 3.50
1 Columbia long sleeved shirt = 3.50
1 sweater/shirt combo = 3.00
1 empire waist blousy top = 2.50

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, I sent you an msn message to let you know that I randomly found your blog. I was looking for a pic of rappie pie to show a friend. How are you doing? Enjoying Halifax?

Andrea said...

Hi Nicole! Good to hear from you. I think, actually, I got that photo from your photobucket account! I hope you don't mind, but was a perfect shot and I think taken at the same place we ate.
I'm craving Rappie Pie all of a sudden.

All's well here. Loving Halifax and being back home again.

Sorry if I didn't get back to your MSN message. My computer is kaput for a little while until it's fixed.

What are you up to these days?
I haven't seen you at church.