Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

It's New Years Eve and to ring in 2007 properly a friend and I will be doing "all things Canadian". So what does that mean? Well, our plan is to cook lobster for dinner, and then watch Anne of Green Gables into the New Year.

The lobster adventure actually started last night.
I picked up 2 live lobsters last night from Loblaws. I had to do some research about how to store live lobsters. Since this is my first time actually cooking lobster I have a lot to learn. Whenever I've had lobster in the past, someone else has cooked it (and usually bought and cooked the lobster on the same day). I discovered, however, that you can store lobster overnight for up to 36 hours in the fridge (see these two sources: 1 , 2 ). So when I got home I got the lobsters all settled in the fridge (in containers that are kept damp by newpaper soaked in a brine solution). I checked on them a few times throughout the night and they seem to be doing well. They're still alive though a bit sluggish (as we all get in the cold!).
Cooking the lobster turned out to be pretty simple. Thanks to my landlady's generous offer, I had a stock pot that was perfect for the job. We brought 6 L of salt water (2 Tbsp per Litre) to a boil, plunged the lobster in head first (we'll spare you the video), and cooked each of them for 15 minutes until they were bright red.I was a little squeamish at first about boiling the lobster, particularly when I saw it still moving in the pot, but it had to be done. In the end it was fine.
Once cooked, we had to figure out how to prepare the lobster. It's been awhile since I last ate lobster so I'm not as familiar with lobster anatomy as I once was. We figured it out - take the tail off and cut it down the middle, twist the two claws off, and pretty much ignore the body (though there's some meat to be found, most of what's found in the body is the tomally and neither one of us were very interested in that).And then came the best part: eating the lobster!
We've decided that eating lobster is not for the faint of heart. Tearing off legs and sucking the lobster meat out of them would not appeal to some. And it's a lot of work, but oh so delicious!

No comments: