Pages

Monday, April 02, 2007

Alarmed

...Twice in one night...

So the good thing about having wireless in my ground floor apt. is that when fire alarms go off in my building, I'm able to take my laptop, pick up a signal, and blog outside in the damp cold morning air while we wait for the "okay" from the firemen.

The alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, waking me and Millie out of the dead of sleep. Naturally Millie dodges for the deepest darkest corner under the bed, so it's a struggle to reach her, and naturally I'm incredibly grumpy, particularly since this is the second time this has happenend in the last 12 hours and it's for no reason at all except that the connections in the panel are damp (so my landlady says).
I've been in this building for nearly 5 years now, and this is the first time I've ever heard the firealarm go off. I'm a little glad to know that it does actually work because, I'll admit, I did have my doubts. It's also good to know that the fire engines show up fairly quickly - though I suppose they ought to with the station being so close on Yorkville! 9 firemen arrived at our building, though only 6 actually left the trucks to check things out.
I have to tell you, too, the firealarm is piercing! Poor little Millie's ears. I mean it's nice having an alarm that will get me up immediately out of the dead of sleep (very little could!), but does have to be SO loud. Betty informed me it was 80 decibels, but I think it was louder - 80 decibels is normal city traffic sounds, this was much louder than that - so loud my ears hurt, and are still ringing half an hour later. And right by my front door is the loudest. I really should have ear protection! And who knows what kind of damage it's doing to Millie's ears. Certainly it must hurt.

Oh yeah, and the other thing about waking up to an alarm...being evacuated in your pajamas. The idea is to get out as fast as possible, I know. And by the time I get Millie from out of the deep recesses under my bed, I've already wasted a lot of time. The fact is, if this had been a real fire, and the building was actually burning, I might have been left with only the clothes I was wearing - and those would've been my lobster pajamas.

Okay, so we've got the "all clear" - now what do I do, it's 6am and my alarm clock has now gone off. Do I try to grab a few more moments of sleep? Or do I take a shower and get ready for the day? Oh the dilemmas!

Let's hope the alarm doesn't go off again during the day....

No comments: