Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Current status: upheaval

As many of you know by now, I'm in the middle of a move. A big move. I'm leaving the big smoke for the bonny shores of Nouvelle-Ecosse. And though I'm looking forward to being "home" again and closer to my family, this move is proving to be rather traumatic. Not only am I saying goodbye to the dear friends I've made here and my church family (who really are like a family to me), but I'm leaving my comfortable and conveniently located apartment, the amenities I have at my fingertips, and the city I have come to know as "home" for the last seven years. It's all a little surreal.

On top of the emotional upheaval, is the physical upheaval. I have to pack and move all my stuff 1100 kilometres. And hiring movers is proving to be no easy task! I've had 3 quotes, each of them wildly different in their own ways. The cheapest I had originally scratched off the list, but is now back on the list because ...well because he's the cheapest. Deciding between the three is really tricky. What can go wrong, what will go wrong, and how much will it cost me - those are all the questions I need to consider before I commit to one.

Packing is relatively easy, and slightly theraputic. Boxing and labelling your life puts things into perspective, particularly when you literally have to weight the value of it. "Is this worth the cost of its weight to move?" And then there's the purging. I've literally purged an entire closet of clothes. For the last 1.5 years I've spread my wardrobe out into my two bedroom closets. I've now condensed my clothes into one (and feeling quite pleased with myself for doing so). Then there's the load of "junk" I've accumulated over the years that's destined for my church yardsale, including the particle board/laminate/assemble-yourself furniture I've acquired to store the junk. That's not going with me either. I can make do without it.

And last but certainly not least. There's the next big hurtle - finding a new home. This reminds me so much of one of my favourite books as a child "Home for a bunny" by Margaret Wise Brown.
Read it.
So dear friends scoped out a few places for me, which is so very kind and thoughtful. But I have to say none of them really hit me as being "home". I have to resign myself to being content with one of them, at least for a short while (for a 4 month summer sublet), and then find a more permanent place to settle. A home for this bunny.

1 comment:

Jenn & Owen said...

I can totally relate. Jenn and I just spent all last night packing even more stuff. We now officially have no closets that are not packed solid with boxes. And even worse - because we are doing our move locally, there is far less incentive to de-junk, especially when a 26' truck is only a few dollars more than a 17' truck.