Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Current status: boxed in

I'm almost completely surrounded by boxes now. Everywhere I look I've got boxes packed and stacked. Let's just hope they're under the estimated weight. I think the home estimate guy estimated approx. 33 boxes @ 25 lbs/box. My goal should be to stick to that limit, and not go over (on weight or number).


Which reminds me, I finally settled on a mover.
Bluebird (an agent of North American Van Lines) was by far the cheapest, quoting me about $60/100lbs. At first I wasn't impressed, but the more I compared this moving company with the other two, Tippet-Richardson and Hudson's Movers, the better Bluebird looked. I'm not sure why there's a difference - hopefully it'll be no more than the difference between "service with a smile" to "service with a surly guy". It doesn't matter, I've made my decision and now I have to fear the worst or hope for the best. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have to say I'm quite pleased with myself. I've done my homework when it comes to movers. I got home estimates from 3 different moving companies (it would've been 4 had AMJ Campbell returned my 2 calls!). I've spoken to people who have moved recently to hear what they had to say about the process. I've learned how to read estimates - the rates per hundred-weight, the surcharges, and extra fees. I've asked all the right questions. And, I've looked at the Consumer Protection Act, specifically the section where I'm guaranteed my estimate within 10%.

I'm all set.

1 comment:

Jenn & Owen said...

I wait with bated breath to hear from the Dree regarding the new place.