Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Homesick for Toronto. Is that possible?

It's hit me many times of the last few weeks that I'm really missing Toronto. Of course I miss my friends, and my church family, and of course I had grown attached to the city in my nearly 7 years there, but the fact that I find myself a little homesick for Toronto has caught me off guard.

Tonight I was watching the news and caught a glimpse of the Bay & Bloor corner. I was practically cursing the camera man for zooming away from the street scene to the person who was talking, only because I wanted to see more of the city.

Of course it doesn't help that there are daily reminders of the city I've left even here in Halifax - whether it be a news report from or about Toronto on the radio or TV, advertisements posted anywhere and everywhere, or following my Toronto friends' fabulous lives doing Toronto things.
And then there is the shopping.....

This is what gets me the most, if only because I generally HATE shopping. I never dreamt I would miss shopping in Toronto, but I do. I really do!

Shopping in Hfx is nothing like shopping in Toronto (quelle surprise!) but what really gets me is that I find I've been ruined by the huge variety that I could find in Toronto. The variety simply isn't here. For example, just yesterday I walked into my local wool shop here in Halifax and was sorely disappointed with the 1 aisle of wool skeins, compared to the aisles upon aisles of wool at Romni. I went into the Bay in the Halifax Shopping Centre and was utterly depressed by the 1970s decor, the obvious neglect of the stock, and the bare aisles (no shoppers, no displays).
Here when I go shopping, it's usually out to the big box stores at Bayers Lake rather than the its-got-everything-you-could possibly-want Eaton Centre, or the nice shops along Bloor Street.

I expect it'll take me some time to get used to this lifestyle and to re-adjust my expectations. I do not, in any way, regret my decision to move home. It's been wonderful being back, enjoying the "quality of life and pride of place, second to none!". Not to mention being closer to my family again.

2 comments:

EDWARD said...

Hi,

I hope you don’t mind my contacting you like this but I couldn’t find an email contact on your blog.

I’m launching a new website about Halifax, www.infomonkey.net, and we have a feature that allows outside bloggers to post into a section of the site and when a user clicks to read it the blogger's page opens in a new window.

So your post about a restaurant can go into our restaurant section or a post about a movie can go into the movie section - but our visitor reads it on your site.

You must join the site and be logged in.

You post by clicking on the gray New Post link in the left column of any page
except the home page (or "Submit Your News under Essentials in the
gray nav bar).

You enter a headline, the beginning text, a 100-pixel wide picture and the URL for your blog.

Select the very last option under PUBLISH MY BLOG TO INFOMONKEY: "Yes, add my headline and text to Infomonkey.net, but open my external blog in a new window."

There’s no acknowledgement that you posted so you only have to do it once.

Your post will come into the site but will not appear until we enable it.

We do not moderate posts for content so much as for preventing abuse: I
don't want people just posting only links, and I don't want posts that are purely promotional.

Try it and let me know if you have any questions or problems. And if
you like it, please pass along the word to other local bloggers.

Ted Sutcliffe
topbanana@infomonkey.net

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!