Pages

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

(B)logging a complaint

About Halifax.InfoMonkey.net, and here's why:

Edward of InfoMonkey, commented on my last blog entry to let me know that he posted my blog entry on his website. Now, I can't really stop this. My blog is publicly available, it's not password protected and until now, I've not really made any attempt to indicate that the contents of my blog are my own (more on this later).

What really got my knickers in a knot, was that, according to his website, the blog entry was "submitted by Inspired By Hope" (that's me!). See for your self - look at the right of the screenshot. See it?! I'd like to make it known that I did NOT submit that entry. In fact what he did was basically lift the entry straight from my blog right into his website, without any form of permission, just a notice that this is what he did. The guy contacted me before (here) when he was trying to get InfoMonkey started - and I must admit, I didn't respond because I'm not interested in publicizing my blog. He also indicated that in order to submit a blog entry to his website you have to be logged into InfoMonkey. I haven't logged in, nor will I.

But here again, I can't really stop the sharing of my blog unless I password protect it (which at this point I'm not interested in doing). And nor do I really want to discourage the sharing - afterall, I follow several blogs with great interest, and hope this same is true with mine. But this is a relatively anonymous online journal-type of a blog. I'm not really interested increasing my site stats, or by getting more traffic. I post when I want about what I want and if anyone is interested - good! So feel free to link to my blog or share it or get RSS feeds, all that I ask is that you don't misrepresent me!

I have to give Edward credit though - I did ask for my blog entry to be removed and it was, almost immediately. Thanks Ed!

So in response, I've been checking out the Creative Commons. You can license your work through the CC to indicate what exactly people can do (or can't do) with your blog. Check out my front page to see the license I chose, and if you have a blog, consider getting your own.

No comments: