Pages

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What to do in Toronto when it's -17C out

Brazilian friends are visiting Toronto this week and I'm suddenly struck by how much my experience of Toronto revolves around food. The first place I take visitng friends and family is to Ethiopia House for an authentic Ethiopian meal. It's great because it's not just different food, but it's an entirely different dining experience. It's very communal and hands-on and incredibly tasty.
Vegetarian Bayaanatu, Tibs and Kitfo Special

It's always tricky when you order a meal, especially for more than two. You always think it's not going to be enough, and over order. In this case we had far to much food, and couldn't finish it all. Such a waste to throw any of it away, and yet you can really only eat so much...

And then after our meal - the coffee ceremony! It's really a must for first-timers, even if you don't like coffee. Again, it's all about the experience. The coffee ceremony begins with the serving staff bringing roasting coffee beans (in a utensil that looks a bit like a enclosed ladle) to your table and letting the aroma of the roasting beans fill your nostrils. That's as you're eating your meal. After you finish your meal, the servers bring a basket of plain popcorn, and a service tray with the coffee urn and little handle-less cups.

And with the coffee, the servers also bring a pillar with burning frankincense.

After our delightful dinner we pulled out the maps and brochures to see what there is to do in Toronto. And that's when I realised it. Aside from the usual touristy things (CN Tower, ROM, AGO, Casa Loma, etc.), the things I really enjoy about Toronto involve food or eating - whether it's going out to a restaurant, or grocery shopping at the markets (Kensington or St. Lawrence) or specialty stores (Whole Foods). The great thing about Toronto is that there's so much variety. You can find just about any ethnic food you could imagine here, and I've done my best to try as many as possible. But it's a little embarrasing when asked what there is to do in Toronto, and the only thing that comes to mind is eating (and that's after eating an enormous dinner!). Granted, I was talking to Brazilians, and it was -17C outside last night. Even if I came up with something else, it would've meant being outside, and they weren't prepared for that. I'm going to suggest skating when the temperature goes up to -1C.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am doing a web search for things to do in Toronto in the winter and got you first! I am coming with my husband and 18 month daughter and really have no idea what to do. My brother lives in Kitchener but will be working in the week. We need stuff to do - and restaurants may not want a bored one year old. Any other ideas?

Andrea said...

Hi Rosie,
One of my favourite things to do in Toronto in the winter was skating, either at Nathan Philips Square or the Natrel outdoor rink by the waterfront. Both places have a great skating surface, and have skates available for rent. And I've seen parents there with their young children, usually bundled up, toddling about on the ice.

You could also try tourist attractions like the Royal Ontario Museum, Bata Shoe Museum, Ontario Science Centre, Casa Loma, the Art Gallery of Ontario. The ROM and the OSC and maybe the AGO all have programs geared for children.

I can also recommend going to one of the markets - Kensington Market (outdoor) or Lawrence (indoor) Market. The markets are bustling on Saturdays and make for a fun outting with lots of visual stimulation, lots of great food to sample, and fun things to find.

I hope that helps. I could list more, but really those would be my first choices apart from eating at fantastic restaurants!