Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Weekend Indulgences

1. Waking up early (yes, you heard me - early!) to enjoy a leisurely morning, which this morning meant reading in bed and occasionaly dozing, and then once I actually got up and dressed making a dash to the corner to TimHorton's for a chocolate chip muffin.
2. Listening to CBC radio 1 and taking the time to read through my email and my list of blogs and get caught up, not to mention doing a bit of "window shopping" on eBay and craigslist. - Found nothing of immediate interest.
3. Going to Whole Foods to pick up some grocery items I really don't need and taking advantage of their gourmet samples. Today I picked up the remaining Indian/Nepali spices, as well as a few other things - a baguette to go with the really tasty pesto I bought at WF last week, juice, and some produce.4. Making the time to do a little cooking. I usually do my main cooking on the weekends and freeze several meals for weekdays, or stock the fridge with cooked foods for the rest of the week. Today I finally tackled a recipe from my Nepali cookbook - Kauli Chana ko tarkari or Chickpea Curry. I think the cookbook might have a typo, Kauli is the word used for cauliflower, and according to online sources Kabuli Chana is the word for chickpeas. But who am I to argue... (Note to self: use less chili powder and more cumin next time I make this curry). 5. Enjoying a good meal. Either homemade or take-out. Today I stuck with my grocery purchases and the chickpea curry. (Trying to save a few pennies and I went out with S. to Sun Lok for Chinese last night).
6. Cleaning or purging something - whether it be an overfull laundry basket that needs to be tackled (wash, dry, fold and put away), or some papers that accumulated in a pile over the week. Today I purged my fridge. I got rid of the the spoiled spinach I had put off using, the expired milk and the leftover mouldy tomato sauce that got pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten. I almost hate to admit it, but I enjoy doing housework on a Saturday. There's something refreshing about it. And I often find I'm too tired and unmotivated to clean during the week (that is, unless I'm procrastinating from doing something else).
7. Relaxing to a good movie at the end of the day. This weekend I rented two: Cape of Good Hope, and Eve and the Firehorse. Tonight I watched the former - Cape of Good Hope - and quite enjoyed it. It was uplifting and thoughtful, but not too heavy. There were several sub-plots that all wove together throughout the movie, that worked with the underlining message: Love connects us all. I laughed and I cried (only a little). The music was excellent too. I think I'm a sucker for movies set in Africa with good music.

8. Staying up late to blog. :)

No comments: