Pages

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Exploring Halifax (route 1)

Today was a lovely day to do a bit of exploring in my new city. I don't know Halifax well, so it's been nice to take some time to wander around and get my bearings. The weather today was perfect for exploring - sunny and clear, with a cool ocean breeze.

I decided the best way to start exploring was to get on a bus and go. I picked a bus route - the bus route that runs from my apartment to work - and followed it from the beginning to end. As it turned out, the end took me across the MacDonald bridge to Dartmouth. Perfect! This meant I had an excuse to take the Ferry across from Dartmouth to Halifax. I love Ferry rides - no matter how long or short!

(I have to say, the MetroPass is turning out to be a fantastic deal! For $60 a month, I have unlimited bus and ferry rides. And when a bus fare is $2, it doesn't take long to break even!)

So here are some photos from my afternoon, first from the Ferry, then from wandering around downtown.

The Halifax Waterfront

Georges Island
Historic Properties and Cows (Ice Cream!)
More of Historic Properties
The Ferry Terminal, and Theodore Tugboat in the background
And of course there were several ships in the Harbour.

By this point, it was well past lunchtime, and I was getting pretty hungry. I debated popping into a pub for fish & chips and reading through some of the tourism brochures and free weeklies I picked up, but instead decided to walk along the waterfront. I was pleasantly surprised to find a BeaverTails! But BeaverTails are no lunch! So instead I went next door (you'll see a woman standing at a counter on the right) for a lobster roll.

My first seafood since moving to Halifax. I'll admit, it wasn't the greatest. The lobster was too salty, and the bun tasted a bit stale. But the novelty of buying a lobster roll on the waterfront was worth the price I paid.

While I was eating, a deaf man approached me with a little brochure.

It's actually pretty handy, and I happily gave he $2 for it (I hope that was sufficient), and signed "thank-you".

After my lunch, I wandered up to the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, and practically tripped over this grate. It's a gorgeous piece of detail and I couldn't help but to take a photo (as crazy as some may have thought me). There's a lot of this detailed workmanship everywhere, if you look for it. And finally, my last photo of the day: Pete's Frootique! I'm pleased to find a suitable replacement for Whole Foods, and so close to my new workplace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea! We don't get the chance to check out your blog nearly as often as we should but today I made the time and loved catching up on all your news. You must be so happy to be back "home" in NS. Perhaps someday we will join you! For now, lots of hellos and hugs from France.

Jenn & Owen said...

I'm jealous of your waterfront...and your seafood...and your good-deal buss pass.