Pages

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Fringe benefits

There are many reasons why I moved home: to be closer to family, to enjoy a different pace of life, to be closer to the ocean and to trees and out of the concrete jungle, to be challenged in new and different ways in a new job.


And I was expecting certain benefits to being home: enjoying the company of my folks, my grandparents and the rest of my extended family, spending more time at the cottage in the summer, buying a car and having more freedom, travelling more.


And then there are the fringe benefits: produce from my mom's garden, free laundry, baked/canned goods from the fam.
My mother's backyard is full of fiddleheads, and this year I got to take advantage of being in town at just the right time! Steamed fiddleheads with a touch of butter - there's nothing better!
Except perhaps rhubarb! A whole bag of it! Doesn't look like much once it's all cut up but it'll make a good crisp, and something else too I'd imagine.

No comments: