Pages

Friday, November 02, 2007

Ethiopia Restaurant

Hooray! There's an Ethiopian Restaurant in Halifax...and it serves delicious food! This was a welcome treat. I haven't had Ethiopian food since I left Toronto and I quite missed it.
Two colleagues and I sampled several dishes (Sorry! No pictures this time) and I can report back that they were basically the same dishes I used to have back in Toronto.

We started with appetizers: pastries called, very similar to samosas. Mine was lentil-filled and delicious, served with a spicy green chili sauce. For our meal we ordered a vegetarian platter (for 2) of 3 dishes: a chickpea curry, a vegetable and cabbage stew called Atakilt, and Shuro Wat made with spicy split green peas. For a meat dish we ordered Doro Tibs, a chicken stirfry-like dish. All served on (and with) injera bread. As always there was far too much food. I always over-order.

And the atmosphere was decent too. Not quite as cozy as Ethiopia House, but nicely decorated with the colours of the Ethiopian flag, wall art, and Ethiopian music playing in the background. It was good to see that we weren't the only ones there. In fact, they were quite busy. At least a couple take-out orders, several tables full of people. And when we were leaving several people who looked like they may have been Ethiopian came in and sat down. That's always a good sign.

The verdict: Highly recommended. Will definitely take visitors, family and friends, there for a meal!

Ethiopia Restaurant
Open: Mon. to Fri. 5pm - 9pm
Menu: No menu available online, by fax or by email, but take-out menus available in restaurant.
Contact: 902-444-3030
Address: 6239 Quinpool Rd., not far from Monastery Ln., Halifax (see map below)

View Larger Map

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I noticed a typo, but for some reason I can't seem to edit my posting (the text disappears when I go in to the edit screen). The appetizers were called Sambusas.

Anonymous said...

Had a reservation tonight for 10 people from work after our meeting. Got there and saw they were closed. Sign said they were supposed to be open. Waited 45 minutes and left for another restaurant.

None of us will be going back.