Pages

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Making progress!

It's been awhile since I've posted a knitting update. So here you go:

I've been juggling two projects - the Chevron scarf and the baby sweater - and making some progress on each.
My priority is the baby sweater because I want it done well before the baby is born, and because I also want to try to knit something else to go with it (baby booties and a toy). I pick up the Chevron when I'm frustrated with the sweater - a dropped stitch, or a lost stitch, or a technique I don't know how to tackle (anyone know how to increase on a purl row??).

Tonight I started and finished a sleeve. I'm hoping I can be finished the sweater in a week or so.
My biggest challenge with both projects is the counting! For some reason I have to count, recount and recount again. Hopefully my counting skills (or concentration skills) will improve over time and practice.

I've also been adding to my stash. During my visit to Toronto, Charlotte and I checked out a couple lovely wool shops. I restrained myself from spending a lot, but didn't want to leave empty handed either. Of course, it didn't help that I went into the shops without any projects in mind so I didn't have anything to shop for. All I could do was fondle the yarn and ooh and aah over the beautiful eye-catching colours. I came away with only 4 balls of wool that were very reasonably priced. Yay me! Millie approves.See! My stash is building. This is about half of it. The other half is tucked away out of sight.

And since I'm talking about knitting, I might as well tell you I've finally been invited into Ravelry. I signed up on Jan. 26, and it took 10 days of waiting before I got (and accepted!) the invitation. Yes, I was getting antsy and made many visits to the impatient alpaca to see where I was in the queue.
And I'd like to say the wait was worth it, but unfortunately for me, I've decided that Ravelry is classed in the same group with Facebook - a high potential to be a monumental time-sucker. So I've decided to add it to my Lenten sacrifice. No Facebook or Ravelry for me for 39 days.

When Easter comes I will feast upon all Ravelry has to offer!
(I realise I'm allowed to cheat on Sundays, so I may take a peak to see what it's all about then - we'll see.)

For those of you unfamiliar to Ravelry, it's a social network for those who knit and crochet. You can find photos and patterns and forums for asking questions; you can add friends just like on Facebook and you can log your own projects (works in progress, finished objects or those in the queue), you can keep an inventory of your stash and see what other people are doing with their stash. I've been warned it's highly addictive, and fascinating, and engrossing......which is why I'm staying away from it for the remainder of Lent.

More time to put towards other things .... which are in the works as I type (again, more on this later!).

No comments: