Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Next project in the queue

At the market on Saturday morning I hummed and hawed over a selection of skeins of pure wool at the Lismore Sheep Farm Wool Shop table. After fondling the wool trying to decide what project I could take-on to justify buying a skein or two, I found a Honeycomb Mittens kit. Perfect! The colours in the kit weren't quite what I was looking for, so the Lismore guy let me pick my own colours, and here's what I chose - Teal Heather (left) and Green Tweed (right). It's taken me all week to muster up the determination to tackle winding the skeins into balls. I've decided this is my least favourite task involved with knitting. I'd like to enjoy it - I really would. But I don't. And this is why....I picked the wrong end to start my ball and the whole thing fell apart into this giant mess. It took me nearly 2 hours to sort it out (in front of the TV and with much needed breaks from the sheer frustration of untangling wool!). In the end, I conquered the tangles and ended up with a much-too-tightly wound ball. Fortunately the second ball went much better. I picked the right end, and it was wound while I watched the new episode of Lost. The second ball was much bigger, meaning it was a little less tightly wound. I'm a little concerned now that this pattern might be too complex for my skill level, but I've wanted to learn how to knit in the round (on multiple needles) for awhile now. So, I might as well start.

And now is as good a time as any! I've finished the baby sweater, and have made quite a bit of progress on the Chevron (I've got about a third of the length I want). It's about time I start a new project.

What makes me really pleased is that these two (very affordable) balls should knit up 2 pairs of mittens. That means I can knit a practice pair for me, and the second pair to set aside to give as a gift for Christmas (perhaps). I'm working on my goal to make more Christmas gifts this year, and to get started early (particularly if I'm knitting gifts!).

No comments: