Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Plan B

A forecast of rain showers put a damper on plans to camp this weekend (Plan A). And while the other 2 ladies may have been a titch disappointed, I wasn't. I was relieved. I've been spoiled by the luxuries of cottage life, and as a result I'm not much of a camper. I don't relish the thought of the close quarters of a tent, outdoor toilets, and creepy crawlies. I like to think I'm pretty down-to-earth, and many people are surprised to learn that I'm not a camper (nor have I been), but at the end of the day I'm very happy to be able to sleep in a bed and know that should I need it, the bathroom is just down the hall without having to go outdoors.

Okay, so instead of camping we came up with Plan B: dinner + a movie...Annapolis Valley-style.

Dinner was at The Port in Port Williams, NS. It's such a beautiful spot, overlooking the Cornwallis River where you can see the tides come in and go out, with this gorgeous panorama to enjoy on the patio with your meal.
Another panorama photo created using Canon Photostitch.
Click on the image to make it bigger.
The Port is a gastropub, which is a term that was new to me. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between a gastropub and a nice restaurant. The food is gourmet quality, using local ingredients (for the most part) and with live local entertainment. It's a lot like the Union Street Cafe in Berwick. The menu had a wide selection with some of the traditional 'pub' fare. I ordered the Valley Shepherd's Pie and enjoyed it very much! I guess one difference might be the prices. The price of my meal was very reasonable - only $12.95, which is fairly typical of most pub fare.

After we finished dinner, we were off to see a double feature at the Valley Drive-In. A lot of people outside of the Valley don't know about this gem, which is really too bad because going to the drive-in is a lot of fun....depending on the movies playing, of course. Unfortunately for us, the movies playing this weekend were so, so, sooooooo bad! The Land of the Lost and Fighting. Ugh. But we made the best of it - either by sleeping or by popcorn or by simply enjoying the experience of going to a drive-in (minus any canoodling, of course). The thing I really like about the drive-in is that it does feel like you're stepping back in time for some unexplainable reason, and you get to enjoy a movie out-of-doors! ...See, I can rough it afterall! ;)


No comments: