Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Mini Vacation: Day 3

Another productive day! Here's what I did:

1. Get new glasses. Check.
It took me the better part of an hour trying on many, many pairs of glasses, but I finally settled on 2 pairs that I hope suit me. It's a difficult process (picking out new frames), and I'm having a tinge of buyer's regret on my 2nd pair but, in the end, I'm sure I'll be happy with what I chose. If you're wondering, I got them at Pearle Vision (which used to be Shoppers Optical, which used to be Shorney's Optical) because they have a great BOGO promotion on now.

2. Start Kimono Shawl. Check.
This is going to take me a long time to finish....but it'll be worth it, right?

I've also discovered a limit to my perfectionism. Am I willing to rip out 3 rows (of 117 stitches each) to correct a missed ssk? Nope. I just don't have the heart to start ripping at this stage in the game. I'm going to consider this my purposeful mistake or my "humility block" and keep on going. Of course, this also means I have to be vigilant about keeping to the pattern and catching any mistakes as soon as they're made. It would not do to have any more mistakes!

3. Run Errands. Check.
Things pile up fast, and having a business day to run errands (like banking) is invaluable. It's hard not to pack in a full day of errands on EDO Mondays but I am determined to save time for a little bit o' fun.

4. Sightsee. Check.
This is on my 2009 To Do List (see the sidebar on my front page). Basically, I want to use my EDO Mondays to see more of the city and the surrounding areas. Today I visited St. Paul's Church. It's the oldest Protestant church in North America, built in 1750 and has a whole lot of history I'm not going to get into tonight.

Instead I'll show you some pictures and share with you the bits of the church I found the most interesting.

I love stained glass windows. Someday, when I have a house of my own, I will have a stained glass window. Someday. Well, let me tell you, there were plenty of stained glass windows at St. Paul's! I took a picture of this one (below) because it depicts (I think) the story from Mark that our sermon on Sunday was based on.And this window (below) really shows the intricate detail of the stained glass work. And there is another window that tells an entirely different story at St. Paul's. The "explosion window" below was shattered during the Halifax Explosion in 1917 and some say that the void left by the shattered glass resembles the likeness of a one of the early church assistants. Whether you believe the story or not, the window is interesting and has been left "in tact" (or should that be "broken"?) since the Explosion.
Oh, and I also love the intricate detail of this pulpit, especially as it appears to frame one of the original 19th century stained glass windows in the chancel behind the pulpit. I'm quite pleased with this shot, actually. And here's more detail (I like floor grates too!): And I leave you with this last thought to consider:Now, off to bed! I need energy for Day 4. There's lots still to accomplish.

(Looking forward to my "other" vacation this summer that will be the antithesis of this one - ie. go to the cottage and plan to accomplish nothing!)

No comments: