Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

#10: Learning to Kayak. Check!

Remember my To Do List for 2011?  Number 10 on that list was learning to kayak. Well, late June I stumbled on the perfect opportunity - join a paddling club!


 As it turns out HRM has a number of Canoe Clubs. I signed up for the "Masters" program at Sackawa on First Lake in Lower Sackville. All "Masters" means is "adult". It by no means implies any level of competency. In fact, most of us were newbies, and spent the first evening just trying to staying afloat in the kayak, let alone actually paddle anywhere.

But confidence and experience, and maybe even a little skill, comes with practice. Sure enough, by the second evening I could get in the kayak without flipping it, and by the third evening was paddling across the (narrow part of the) lake without too much trouble.  And by the end of summer, I felt pretty chuffed with the praise I received from my instructor and for my ability to not tip, even in choppy waters (and in a leaky boat, too, I might add!).


These kayaks are a little different - they're racing kayaks, which are a bit more tippy than recreational kayaks. And they have rudders (which took some getting used to). One week we did have the numbers (12-14) to try the war canoe, but holy cow it was hard! It was all I could do to keep myself balanced, let alone paddle. And all kinds of muscles were killing me afterwards (for days!). Since I'm a novice in the kayak, I figured I would focus on that this summer and maybe try the war canoe (if there's enough people) or solo canoe next year.

Kudos to R. for mastering the solo canoe in just 3 evenings!  

No comments: