Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Found!

Two boxes of books from my undergrad days! Hooray! I've been looking for these books since I've been back in Nova Scotia, but couldn't find them. As it turns out, they were packed carefully in boxes and tucked safely away - so safe, they weren't found until now!

Opening these boxes was like Christmas all over again! They're mostly books from my undergraduate degree in English Literature, and a few books from my childhood. The children's books are some of my favourites that I pulled out of boxes years ago in 3rd and 4th years, with the idea of using them for my Children's Literature classes.

So, here are the favourites found in these 2 boxes:
  1. How to Make Pop-Ups by Joan Irvine. My favourite craft book as a child and I've often wondered where it disappeared to. It would be a really fun activity for my "Little" and I to do together.
  2. Maggie Muggins & Mr. McGarrity by Mary E. Grannan. The first chapter book I remember reading all by myself. I don't remember the story at all so I'm half-tempted to reread it.
  3. The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiesen. A book from my Writer & Nature (I) class. This came to mind recently as I've been reading through Three Cups of Tea. Both books are about self-discovery in the moutains, and reference the same moutaineers.
  4. Tales of Terror books. My last year of University I took a Tales of Terror course. It was one of the most difficult courses in my academic career, but the subject matter was one of my favourite. I mean, c'mon, who WOULDN'T love reading all the gothic classics. And every once in awhile - usually during a storm - I have a craving to reread one.
I spent some time this evening finding new homes for these strays. I still have a bit of room left, but may have to consider another bookshelf eventually.

1 comment:

Sherrie said...

I recognize some of those anthologies! I also did English Lit, and Children's Lit was one of my favourite classes. :) Nice that you found them again!