Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

My ultimate comfort food!

Warm homemade applesauce!

I love applesauce, especially slightly chunky applesauce, with a bit of cinnamon and freshly ground nutmeg. I don't put any sugar in my applesauce when I'm cooking it so the recipe is pretty easy: enough water to cover the bottom of the pot (1 inch deep) + peeled, cored & sliced apples + spices. I used leftover Cox's Orange apples this time, but it's best made with tart flavourful apples like Cortlands or Jonagolds (in my humble opinion).

Applesauce is a staple for me in the wintertime. I'll eat it for breakfast, mixed in with yogurt and Ginger Zinger Granola (the combo of the three tastes like Apple Pie!). I also enjoy it spooned onto a slice of brown bread with peanut butter. And, of course, there's another delicious treat - warm applesauce with a spoonful of vanilla frozen yogurt (wait a few minutes so the ice cream melts a little) + a little nutmeg. Delicious!

So, why am I posting about my ultimate comfort food?
...Because Frenchy's Finds offered a challenge I couldn't resist - a Comfort Week challenge.
And if there's one thing I do well, it's comfort ;) .

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Ooooh, YUM! One of my favourites, too - warm, and with whipped cream if I'm really lucky. :)

Amber said...

Amen to applesauce. It is one of our favorites, year round. :)

Anonymous said...

We finally got enough apples (from our trees and our friend's trees) to make our own this year. It's simply fabulous!