Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

M is for Markets

Yesterday I made a trip home to the Valley. One of my many stops was to the Meadowbrook Meat Market in Berwick. Mom picked up delicious honey garlic sausages for supper and some ground hamburger, and I picked up a pre-cooked ham and maple sausages. I've heard rave reviews from my mother about how fresh the meat is, and she's been shopping for her meat there for years.

I was really impressed with the market - a large space with freezers and cooling units full of meat, like the meat section of a grocery store. They're obviously doing very well, and I hope they're business continues to thrive. There was a mishap this fall and they lost a lot of hogs in a barn fire (just imagine the smell!! eww!!), but I gather that's not going to hurt business too much.

I also got a real kick out of one of their parking signs. All of them were different. Here's the one for my parking space....

"For those feeling disgruntled". :D

And speaking of markets, I also stopped in to the Wolfville Farmer's Market. During the winter months it can be found in the Student Union Building at Acadia. There weren't as many vendors there as usual, but I managed to buy a bit of produce (brussel sprouts, a variety of carrots, a big bag of kale), and some pastries from the German Bakery to treat Mom and G. as thanks for being willing to store my All-Season tires for the winter (and alternately, my Winter Tires during the non-winter months, I hope....though that may require more pastries).

No comments: