Pages

Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy New Year!

I rang in 2009 huddled under a very cozy and warm denim quilt with Millie while the Blizzard swirled outside, knitting a button-tab hat for myself (how is it that I don't own a winter hat?), and watching movies.

Button Tab Hat pattern here.
Wool: Brown Sheep's Lamb's Pride Bulky, a wool & mohair blend.
Button: From a big bag of buttons bought at Wal-Mart (1 lb of buttons for $3!)
Notes: I should've followed the pattern a bit more closely - the hat doesn't quite come down below my ears. However, I was worried that there wouldn't be quite enough wool to finish the hat. The pattern called for straight stockinette stitching for 5-5.5 inches, and I only knit 3 (4 would've been ideal for a perfect fit).
Also, I thought the colour was quite nice at first, but after trying it on, I think I need a hat with a bit more colour. Maybe from this?

And knitting has been made so much easier for me thanks to the Christmas gift I received from my grandmother! She made me a fabulous needle roll.

It's exactly what I needed as I seem to be especially prone to misplacing (read: losing) knitting needles (hence the few pockets with 3 needles in them). And best of all, it was handmade!

I find it very hard to believe that another year has passed so quickly! 2008 was a good year, but I expect 2009 to be even better! I'm quite looking forward to it.

And, though I know every day is a new day, and I don't have to wait until a New Year to set a few resolutions, I still like to make up a little list of things to do for the year.

So here are a few:
  • Buy less and save more.
  • Compost consistently. I don't do this enough because there's very little attention paid to composting in my building (irregular pickups, and the bins are often buried in snow in the wintertime).
  • Invest in a used GPS & go geocaching. (A perfect activity to do with my Little.)
  • Get my bedroom closet under control.
  • Grow another patio garden, with lettuce, tomatoes, zucchini and herbs.
  • Knit a pair of socks, knit a "Wonderful Wallaby",... knit, knit, knit.
  • Read at least a book a month.
  • Sitesee more. Visit more museums and galleries in the HRM.
  • Stargaze more & learn a handful of constellations
  • Stop using plastic grocery bags.
  • Try 1 new recipe every week.
Since 2009 is the International Year of Astronomy AND the International Year of Natural Fibres, I think my knitting plans and stargazing plans are very appropriate!

No comments: