Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2008

746.43

746.43 is the Dewey Decimal reference to Knitting.

I've finally gotten around to activating my library card. I've had it for months, and even popped in to my local library to check it out but, being pressed for time, I didn't actually activate my card. Well, this week I finally made a trip to the library close to work and got the deed done.

Of course I went with a purpose...I wanted a book! Thirty minutes later, I left with 3 books + 2 DVDs + 1 CD, and a request for another CD at another branch.
Here's what I borrowed:
  1. Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson
  2. Simple Knits with a Twist by Erika Knight
  3. Hats: A Knitter's Dozen
  4. Syriana (2005)
  5. Pride & Prejudice (2005)
  6. Tafelmusik: Chants Sacrés et Profanes (2003)
I'm very pleased! Mostly because I found what I wanted AND I'm saving money! Two great reasons for more frequent visits to the Library.

On another note, let me rant for a quick minute aboout how disappointed I was with Pride & Prejudice. Perhaps it's because I recently watched the BBC (1995) mini-series version of P&P - all 5 hours of it! It was truly wonderful and I'm not ashamed to admit that I crushed on Colin Firth thereafter (though I think I'm over it now). This film version didn't do the book justice, and didn't hold a candle to the other version. It seemed to me that this version was almost schlocky with it's predictable filmography and cheap shots (ie. very unconvincing city scenes) and with Keira Knightly's so-called "classic beauty", but not so classic acting skills. Anyway, if you're going to see Pride and Prejudice, don't bother with the 2005 version. Instead plan to set a block of 5 hours aside some time to watch the 1995 BBC version.

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

I wholeheartedly agree that the 2005 version has nothing on the BBC special.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Did you ever visit this place when in TO?

http://www.theknitcafetoronto.com/site.html

I was out with a friend last night who knits and she said there was one in Halifax also.

Kristal

Sherrie said...

I completely agree about P&P. I watched the BBC series while hugely pregnant and lying on the couch was my main activity - it's great! And I can't wait to see what you find out about MBNA - thanks for being persistent!

Andrea said...

Kristal: I did know about the Knit Cafe in TO, but I really hadn't got that into knitting while I was there (aside from a few scarves). I think the equivalent here is The Loop, though there's another group (KOL) who meet at the Wired Monk every Tues.

Sherrie: I've been lurking on your blog for quite some time now. It's good to hear from you. I haven't contacted Cornerstone yet, but will.