Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Good friends & Good food

Whew! I 'm back from a whirlwind trip back to Toronto. My first time back since the move in April. This trip was all about visiting friends but, as I anticipated, a few days wasn't nearly enough time. It was so good to see folks again, and I'm so sorry about not being able to fit everyone in. I did my best and it just means I need to make another trip, right?!

So, as always, it seems when you visit with friends, there is always food involved. I managed to get to Green Mango and Pi-Toms for Thai, and to Pho Hung for Vietnamese, and even better than that I was treated to the hospitality of friends and delicious homemade food.

I helped a friend make homemade Chinese dumplings...
I haven't made dumplings in years, so it was a lot of fun to get my hands in and help again. I haven't quite got the technique down, but as long as the dumpling is securely folded so none of the stuffing leaks out when they're cooked, it's all good! And it's nice to be able to chat at a kitchen counter, working together, laughing together.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera out for all my meals so I don't have a photo of Thursday's feast. But let me tell you, it was delicious! A four course Portuguese meal starting with pastries and grilled calamari (the best I've ever tasted!), followed by a delicious Portuguese BBQ chicken with rice and green beans, and topped off with amazing custard tarts from the Portuguese bakery. I should've taken pictures because, honestly, I'm not doing it justice!

Friday I got together with friends I used to play Euchre with and before we got into a game (or three!), we had a tasty meal of maple glazed salmon, salad and chocolatey brownie!
Saturday night was a potluck - an unusual potluck when you factor in all the food aversions, but great food is always served with wonderful hospitality and lots of conversation.
What are the food aversions you ask? No fish or meat, no fungi, no cooked peppers, no raisins, no cilantro, no cheese, and no gluten, no alcohol.

So here is what we had:

Hummus & Pita

Lentil Soup with gluten-free Focaccia bread

Baked pasta & Greek salad

Apple crisp for dessert!

And, last but not least, I've been given permission to post this. And so I will....because it fits nicely with the food theme. This was my first time at Licks and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great burger, great fries....great fun!
Mmm....Homeburger!

I like going out to restaurants, but when it comes down to it, I enjoy the company of friends more. And the great thing about homemade meals, is enjoying the company of friends in their own environment, casually (even in our pyjamas!), where you can relax and not have to rush out.

And a special thank-you to my hosts who treated me like a queen with fresh baked muffins and crepes and porridge. Back to making my own breakfasts now. ...

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Ha! That burger sure does look good. For the record I don't really think the photo of you on my blog is unflattering :)